Wednesday 5 June 2013

Not Quite Anzac Biscuits

...but close enough!

Traditionally made for the 25th of April in New Zealand and Australia if I'm not mistaken. I know that day has already been, but now you'll be ready for next years batch... or just go ahead and make them anyway, they're definitely worth it!

These remind me of a hybrid of the Scandinavian oat macaroons and coconut macaroons, which makes sense, as that#s mainly what goes into these scrumptious bites!

I replaced half of the sugar with "Sukrin Gold" which only has 15 calories per 100g, but tastes deliciously sweet, almost caramel-like! Also, I was running out of oats, and so I added a little bit of ground millet to the mix!
I used agave syrup in place of the golden syrup, and they still came out deliciously soft and sweet!

Not Quite Anzac Biscuits
(Makes about 26, 60 calories each)



60g porridge oats
25g ground millet
85g dessicated coconut
100g plain flour
50g Sukrin Gold (Can use normal sugar)
50g light brown sugar
100g butter (I used Flora Light)
1 tbsp agave syrup (or golden syrup)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

- Start by mixing all the dry ingredients - except from the bicarbonate of soda - in a medium baking bowl.

- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C

- Melt the butter on low heat in a small pan, and add the syrup, two tablespoons of hot water, as well as the bicarbonate of soda.

- Make a well in the centre of the dry mixture and pour in the butter-syrup mixture. Stir well and use two teaspoons to shape small balls. Place them on a greased baking paper on a tray, and bake for 8/10 minutes until golden, but still soft.

Enjoy!

Original source:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3803/anzac-biscuits

- Jules

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jules I was looking through your recipes when I found this one for ANZAC biscuits. It was good to see you have ago at one of national treats. I'll have to send you the correct recipe when I get home from work. We flatten the biscuit like an American cookie. Cheers from Down Under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miirih, thank you so much!
      I would love the proper recipe for the traditional Anzac biscuits :D Will remember to flatten them next time *smiles*

      Delete