I have never used crab in a dish before, and so I decided to finally do it! I found a recipe that has quite a few little components, but it all came together really easily! The trick is to get the order right, you don't want cold tostadas with brown guacamole, now do you? Didn't think so!
The crab mixture and pickled onion on its own weren't to my liking (I had some leftovers before I served up the real deal...) but then, once added to the savoury pancakes and super simple guacamole - it all came together soooo nicely! You gotta love a bit of avocado, mmmm...
(Serves 2, about 320 calories each excluding tortilla/pita bread)
For the pickled onion:
1 red onion, chopped or sliced
Juice of 1/2 lime
A pinch of sugar
A pinch of salt
For the crab mixture:
2 tins of white crab meat, altogether 240g when drained
4 spring onions, chopped
1 chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
Pinch of salt
For the guacamole:
1 small avocado - about 150g flesh, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
Juice of 1/2 lime
Tortillas and mixed leaves or spinach to serve
- So! A lot of little things to get together here, but you've got to start somewhere! Start by chopping or slicing the red onion and mix it together with the juice of 1/2 lime and a pinch of sugar and salt - set aside.
- Then mix all the ingredients for the crab mixture together in a bowl.
- Now, if you want to make your own wraps, flatbreads or savoury pancakes, now will be a good time, so they'll stay warm until serving. See my recipe for savoury protein pancakes below.
- Have the avocado, garlic and remaining lime juice in a bowl, and mash until you've got the texture you like!
- Serve up the tostadas: Spread some guacamole on them first, then divide the crab mix between them, and finally top it all off with the pickled onion! Serve with leaves or a freshly prepared side salad - and enjoy!
Recipe for 4 small savoury protein pancakes:
2 egg whites
A scoop of neutral flavoured protein powder
2 vegetable stock cube of 1 1/2 tbsp stock powder
1 tbsp psyllium husk
Salt and pepper
Pinch of baking powder or bicarbonate of soda (optional)
Water, until right consistency
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside for a minute or two. The psyllium husk will cause the batter to thicken.
- Fry pancakes in a non stick frying pan until cooked and lightly golden, or in a little oil in a frying pan.