Monday, 28 October 2013

Steak Pie Filling

I was craving steak pie the other day, sooo badly! Thankfully, I attended a Play, a Pie and a Pint at a small local venue where they did have exactly that - steak pie! So I got my craving covered. Buuuuut I decided to make some steak pie filling, either to serve it along with boiled or roasted potatoes, or perhaps grated potato and mix it with butter and bake it (they used grated sweet potato in the original recipe, genius!) You can also top it with puff pastry for a more traditional pie. I had ran out of mushrooms, but it turned out delicious anyhow! If you do happen to have some mushroom though, add them!

This is possibly the best beef gravy I have ever made! So if serving two people, I would most certainly double the amount - juuuuust in case. I may have ended up licking the plate....just maybe.... I would also say this would make a great baked potato topping, almost like an upside down Shepherd's Steak Pie!

Steak Pie Filling
(Serves 2, about 320 calories each)


1 knob butter
225g stewing beef (I used frying steak), bite-size chunks
1 medium onion, sliced
150-200g mushrooms, sliced (optional)
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp plain flour
100ml red wine
200ml beef stock

Roast or boiled potatoes to serve, OR grated sweet potato or potato mixed with a bit of butter. Pour the mixture into an oven proof dish, top with the grated potato and butter mixture, and bake until golden and slightly crisp on the top!
Also serve this with boiled carrots (haha, I wrote "cattors" first!) and peas or asparagus on the side, get your greens on!

- Start by browning your mix on medium low heat so as to not burn the butter. Then add your onion and cover, simmer for about 5-10 minutes until the onions are quite soft.

- Now, tip in the mushrooms, if you're using them, stir them about for a few minutes before adding the tomato purée, flour, wine and stock. Cover once more and simmer on low heat for about two hours until the meat is nice and tender.

- By now I am sure whether you want to use pastry or potatoes to go along with it, so go on - do your thing!


Original source:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1515/beef-pie-with-crisp-potato-crust

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment