Friday, 1 November 2013

Lentil & Chorizo Soup

Anyone noticed any Halloween recipes out there in the world of blogs? Yeh? Hehe, yes, same here, quite a lot of them in fact (MILLIONS!). I love to see all the different things people come up with and make with all the Autumnal vegetables, it's great! I was at a Halloween birthday party dressed as Wednesday Addams, it was good fun! I even brought my (plastic) spider Homer with me!

But here - an Autumn-coloured soup that doesn't have pumpkin in it? Surely not now in October? But yes, it is true - this hearty dish hasn't seen a bit of pumpkin in its life, and yet it tastes delicious! Perfect for a day when it's raining cats and dogs (...is that just a Norwegian expression?)

Lentil & Chorizo Soup
(Serves 3, about 400 calories each)


1 onion, or a small bunch of Spring onions, chopped
70g chorizo, finely diced
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp tumeric
1 chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 fat garlic clove (or 2 smaller ones), minced or finely chopped
200g dry red lentils
2 tbsp vegetable stock powder or cubes
A good knob of light butter
1.2litre of boiling water
Salt and pepper to taste
Good bread to serve, I used cheese bread with butter on the side

- Start by heating up a medium large pot, tip in the onion and chorizo and simmer for a few minutes until the onion has softened and the oil has come out of the chorizo.

- Add the cumin, tumeric, chilli and garlic and fry for a few minutes whilst stirring. Pour in the stock and lentils along with the butter, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Check it every five minutes or so to stir and see if more water is required - this wont affect the flavours much.

- Season to taste. Five minutes before serving, I popped the bread in the oven, just so the butter would get a chance to melt a little - made for a perfect October meal when it was pouring outside!

I made this soup after my flatmate and I had been working with our friend's music video, aaaaall day, and the weather outside was wet, so wet! This made for a lovely little supper, mmm!

Have you celebrated Halloween this year? Or maybe you're doing it over the weekend? Regardless, I hope you have an amazing weekend to come!


Original source:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2155646/lentil-and-bacon-soup

- Jules

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jules! What is the quantity of the lentils?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica! Thanks for letting me know I'd left that out, must have jotted it down in a hurry, I will fix that as soon as, because this definitely a soup worth making! I used around 200-250g lentils :) x

      Delete