Wednesday 29 January 2014

Zingy, Gluten-Free Quinoa Loaf

This was such a tricky recipe for me, and I feared the worst when I took it out of the oven. Why? Because when I tasted the thick batter for this sweet "cake" loaf, it tasted really weird! I trusted my instincts though, and also thought that bread dough doesn't normally taste nice either so maybe it'll change as it bakes.

Thankfully, my instincts and my don'tthrowitaway!-side was right, and this turned into a lovely little treat, glutenfree and everything! I did a bit of tweaking here and there based on what I had, you can find the original recipe at the bottom of the post. Bare in mind that because you use quinoa flour it will taste a lot different from most baked goods, and so it might not be to everyone's taste, juuuust saying! I liked it though! I even found that it went well with zingy toppings like the salsa criolla!

Zingy, Gluten-Free Quinoa Loaf
(About 730 calories for the whole loaf)


100g quinoa flour
1 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
100ml quark (or low-fat Greek yogurt, fromage frais etc)
100ml almond milk
2 eggs
1 tbsp coconut oil melted (Can use sunflower oil)
2 tbsp orange zest (optional)
Juice of 1/2 lemon (or use some of the orange?)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger (Or 1 tsp dry)
1 tbsp chia seeds
75g sukrin Gold (or coconut sugar, xylitol, brown sugar)
10 drops stevia vanilla creme

- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.

- In a bowl mix together all the dry ingredients, make a well in the middle and add your remaining ingredients and whisk together well. You are supposed to end up with a thick batter, almost like that of a carrot cake.

- Grease a loaf tin and pour in the batter. Place in the lower middle of the oven and bake for 45-60 minutes, keep an eye on it every 20 minutes and if it looks like it's about to burn, cover with foil for the remaining time, but it should be all right!

Serve the loaf topped with a bit of butter, chocolate spread, or any jams, sliced berries or fruits that you reckon will go well with it! I decided to go for butter and some sliced strawberries, can't say I minded... Mmmm!



Original Source:
http://shockinglyhealthy.com/2013/03/01/citrus-chia-seed-quinoa-loaf/

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment