Friday 11 April 2014

Riso Nero

...is one of the best kind of risos, or rice if you will!

I had this as a sort of evening snack/late dessert, and it totally hit the spot. The only problem was that I only made enough for half a portion, dang! So I've doubled the recipe for you especially, and it'll still be considered healthy as I kept it sugarfree!

The coffee granules makes this extra rich, but you can of course opt out on it, it doesn't taste a lot like coffee, but should you not want to add it - I wont make you, cause I'm just that nice sometimes ^ ^

Riso Nero
(Serves 1)


60g wholegrain 10-minute brown rice
1 cup almond milk (or other milk like regular semi-skimmed or soy)
1 tsp decaff coffee granules
1 tbsp sukrin gold/xylitol or a 3-5 drops stevia vanilla
1 tsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Yogurt to serve (vegan yogurt foran all-in vegan treat!)
You can also use chopped nuts, cacao nibs etc. for topping - or perhaps a sliced banana?

- Start by having the almond milk in a small casserole along with the rice and simmer on medium heat.

- Halfway through, add the sweetner of choice, coffee granules, cocoa powder and cinnamon. It should begin thickening properly after about 8 minutes. Remember to stir frequently so it doesn't catch the bottom and get burnt (burnt chocolate is FAR from as good as lovely creamy chocolate...). Add a splash of water should the mixture be a little dry.

- Once the rice is done, you're ready to serve! Just try and be patient so you don't burn yourself. You can serve this topped with a little yogurt, or swirl it through. I think I added about three tablespoons that I swirled into it. So good!

Recipe by yours truly, but somewhat just tweaked the recipe from:
http://www.mineoppskrifter.no/riso-nero/

- Jules

2 comments:

  1. This sounds great! Reminds me of a chocolate rice dish from the Philippines called champorado :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm yeh, it's just like rice pudding with chocolate, so tasty! I would love to try and make some genuine Filipino dishes, do you have a favourite?
      Thanks for stopping by Bianca :) x

      Delete