Wednesday, 9 April 2014

XL Meatballs with Potato Mash

The other day, I wanted food - hooomely food. Then, I had a light-bulb moment, and this happened!

Now, they are not quite big enough to be considered burger, nor small enough so be considered meatballs as we usually know them. In Norway, we'd call these "kjøttkaker" which basically means meatcakes! I saw smeone had used a bit of mustard in the recipe for some meatballs, and so I decided to add that, along with some of the more common meatball ingredients. So good!

XL Meatballs with Potato Mash
(Serves 2)


For the meatballs
250g beef mince
1 tsp Dijon mustard
A splash of Worcestershire sauce
1 small onion, chopped
Salt and pepper
A good pinch of grated nutmeg
1 tbsp tomato pureê
Butter for frying

For the mash:
400g potatoes, diced
300g carrots, diced
Pepper
1 tsp vegetable stock powder

Broccoli to serve

- Start by boiling up water for the potatoes and carrots. After they have been boiling for about five-ten minutes, start getting the other components ready!

- In a small baking bowl, combine all the ingredients for the meatballs. Heat butter in a large frying pan and heat up. Shape the mince mixture into four big meatballs, and place in the frying pan, turning every few minutes so you make sure they'll cook evenly. Pour a little splash of water in every so often, and you should get a lovely au juis, or..well...thin gravy if you will!

- When the meatballs have a couple pof minutes to go, slice up the broccoli and add to the pan with the meatballs, with an additional splash of water. This is only so the meatballs wont go all dry, plus it takes the butter a little further.

- Check the potatoes and carrots, are they tender? Good! Now, drain, but leave about 50ml of the boiling water. Add a bit of salt and pepper, along with the vegetable stock powder. You can either mash it or use a stick blender to whizz it smooth. I wanted to make sure the stock got blended in nicely, and so I used the stick-blender.

And it's time to serve up! Divide the mash, meatballs and broccoli between plates, and tuck in!

Oh and I also got me a little something the other day....


For what better to keep your treasures in than a chest? Yup! I'm not the most girly of girls, so this suited me quite well, I was so happy when I came across it, now I have something legit to keep my silver and gold in!


Recipe by yours truly

- Jules

2 comments:

  1. Some days, homely food is all that'll hit the spot... so comforting! I haven't tried mixing both carrot and potato for mash.

    Keeping treasures in a chest? I'd be keeping Dave Grohl in there ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh, exactly! I had never used stock powder in mash either until now, but I felt lazy and used it instead of seasoning, and it totally worked :D

      Haha, I would mind Dave Grohl in a treasure chest either, but it'd have to be a big one so he could sit in it and play tunes whilst I was doing the cooking! :P Don't tell me you've gone and abducted the fellah? ;) x

      Delete