Tuesday 22 July 2014

French Vanilla Toast with Smashed Blackberries & Yogurt

Hello hello!

I wasn't going to post anything today, but then I thought - aaaaaawh why not? Plus, what better than getting a little bit of breakfast inspiration for the morning, ey?
However, I am not ashamed to say that I had this for dinner...not even one bit! This and a couple of fried sausages later, and I was one happy Julie, let me tell you!

This is the last recipe of From Season to Season for now, but I will be sure to make more use of the book, still plenty of goodies in there to try, not to mention the recipes I want to make again - which is pretty much ALL of them by the way!

French toast is the perfect comfort meal, and will always hit the spot, be it on a rainy Saturday afternoon, for breakfast, and even - as I've just proved, for dinner... This is a sweet take on it, and although it was originally served with Greek yogurt, I opted for some ricotta, but actually, I would have preferred it with just the smashed blackberries, so refreshing!

Miss Dahl suggests soaking the toast for up to 20 minutes or so, but I just left them in for a minute or so, allowing for them to absorb the delicious vanilla mixture.... Perfect for using up ricotta or yogurt, and get those frozen berries out of the freezer and on the go!

French Vanilla Toast with Smashed Blackberries & Yogurt
(Serves 1)

Note: That is not icecream, but ricotta, next time I'll make sure to have the ricotta or yogurt uuuunder the berries, or just with berries if I feel like something zingy!

2-3 slices of wolemeal or glutenfree bread (I used 3 smaller ones)
1 egg
A few drops vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
1/2 tbsp agave syrup (can use honey)
40-50ml milk
A small knob of butter for frying

A handful of blackberries (frozen works fine)
1 tsp agave syrup or honey
A splash of water

A couple of tbsp of Greek yogurt or ricotta (optional)

- First, start by mixing the egg, milk, vanilla, agave and salt in a shallow bowl. Dip in the slices of bread and let them soak for a couple of minutes, turning from time to time (if you have plenty of time, you can leave them to sit in the egg-mixture for 10-20 minutes, I was too impatient...)

- In a small pot or frying pan, have the berries, agave and a splash of water and simmer over a medium-low heat, until the berries start to fall apart and as Sophie said "split into a big jammy Autumnal mess". Turn of the heat and set aside.

- Heat the butter in a large frying pan, and have the soaked toast in. Fry for about 4 minutes on each side on medium low-heat. Once done, stack up, have the yogurt over (if using) and top with the delicious berry mixture (I did it the other way around, dang!), and enjoy!

Do you have a favourite take on the mighty French toast? I'd love to hear it!


Original source:
From Season to Season, p. 14

- Jules

8 comments:

  1. My French toast is usually loaded with sugary things, which is why I don't make it often ;)

    I must try this one when blackberries are back in season. I love the tartness of ricotta or yoghurt with things, sometimes it's better than cream or ice cream.

    I've enjoyed your recipes from Sophie's book, I hope you do more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, thank you so much! I'll be sure to make more from Miss Dahl's book of cookery, so many great recipes - usually with a twist :)

      I had never had sweet French toast up until recently, but I've had it a good few times since then ^ ^ You can use frozen blackberries as well, but I know they are best when fresh and in season, delicious!
      Wishing you a lovely Wednesday missy! x

      Delete
  2. That's a great idea to use agave syrup for french toasts, that's a really nice breakfast. Looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Helene! The agave worked great for this ^ ^ Thanks for stopping by :) x

      Delete
  3. Deilig!!
    Du må nok ha det mest varierte kostholdet av "alle", du lager så mye nytt og spennende hele tiden. Smaksløkene dine er heldige ;) Jeg går så i perioder med hva jeg spiser, og spiser det samme hele tiden til jeg blir lei og finner noe nytt jeg elsker :P Jeg trives med det, men det hadde vært gøy å variere oftere.
    Klem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh, variasjon er godt, men det er også deilig med kjente og kjære smaker :) Pappa sa selv "Har du noengang det samme til middag?!" Jeg liker og utfordre meg på kjøkkenet og oppdage nye ting :) Gjerne mest fordi jeg var så kresen i matveien når jeg var yngre, føler jeg har gått glipp av så mye og må ta igjen!
      Syns du også er flink til og variere og prøve nye ting jeg! Håper du koser deg gløgg ihjel i kveld <3 x

      Delete