Monday 28 July 2014

Sugar-Free Mango Chutney & Easy Wholemeal Chapati

Hello and merry Monday!

After a certain appointment the other week, I felt really inspired and so I thought I would make some chutney, as I hadn't since...almost two years ago! I went to the shops and got me som mangoes, and home I went cookalooking away, and this is how it turned out, a lovely fruity mix with a bit of a kick to it, but don't worry it's not too spicy.
I swapped the sugar for xylitol, and it worked a treat!

So, what to make when you have a whole lotta chutney? Well, as I am quite the novice when it comes to Indian cooking, I thought I would start with something as simple and tasty as chapati. Four ingredients all in - guess what? It worked! I got six small chapatis out of the recipe I halved, and they were really lovely with just the chutney, but I can imagine some salad would also compliment it!

Oh oh oh, and before I forget - A friend and I had a barbecue in the park last week, and we had some Mexican flavoured burgers that I used the chutney as a relish for, and it was - amazing! The Mexican spices, and beans worked a treat with the slightly spicy and sweet chutney, SO good *smiles*

Sugar Free Mango Chutney
(Makes about 2 small jars + a bit extra for testing!)


1 medium large mango
200ml vinegar
150g xylitol
2-3 cm fresh ginger, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 tsp chilli powder or cayenne
2 tsp salt
1 tsp mustard seeds
50g sultanas or raisins

- In a pot, have the vinegar and xylitol, cook over low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

- In the meantime, prepare the mango, cut off the two sides just a little off the piy in the middle so you have two halved and the full edge with the pit. Now, s'time to make some mango hedgehogs as I like to call them. Use a knife to cut it criss-cross juuust down before you reach the mango-skin. Turn it inside out, et voila! Makes it much easier to scrape the mango off. Chop the garlic and ginger.

- Once the xylitol has dissolved and the mixture has had the chance to dissolve, add the ginger and garlic and stir for about ten minutes. Then, add the mango along with the rest of the ingredients and boil over a low heat for about 25 minutes until the chutney starts to thicken and the mango goes soft.

- Stir occasionally over that period, and if you want, you can mash the mango lightly if you want.

- Now, once the chutney is done, transfer into sterilised jars, and twist the lid on tight, this will allow for the jar to create a vacuum and seal. Stor in a cool place and eat within a few weeks, about 4-5 days once opened, but you might not even last that long! This stuff is delicious!

Have you ever tried to make chutney before?

And now for the super-simple wholemeal chapatis! (Use half white half wholemeal if you want the best of both worlds, but I prefer mines a little grainy).

Mango-hedgehog!

Mini Wholemeal Chapati
(Makes 6, serves two with a main or sides)

120-150g wholemeal flour (start with 120 first!)
100ml water
1/2 tsp salt
A tsp ghee or oil for frying

- Start by mixing the flour and salt in a medium baking bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour in the water. Work with your hand until a dough forms and add a bit of flour if it's sticky. It supposed to juuust be dry enough so it "let's go" of your hand as you're working it.

- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surfare and work it for at least 5 minutes, preferably ten. Cover and place in the fridge for about half an hour.

- Half an hour later, work the dough firmly, and then roll into a sausage. Divide it into six pieces, or four bigger ones if you want to make them slightly bigger. I had to "feed" the dough a little more flour as I went along, and I simply used a glass for rolling the chapatis out, who needs a rolling pin anyway?

- Now, heat oil in a non-stick frying pan on medium heat, once hot - add the first chapati and cook for a couple of minutes until it starts to "blister", press down with a spatula and cook on the other side until golden. Repeat with the remaining chapatis without adding more oil.

Once you've run out of chapatis to fry, guess what? S'all done! I cannot believe it's taken me this long to get around to making. I will most certainly be doing this next time chapatis are required!

From left to right: Dough divided into pieces, chapati rolle out and ready for frying, fried chapati with aforementioned chutney!

What's your favourite things to put on chapatis, or serve them with?

Today I got some good news, but I miiight just save that for tomorrow's post. I hope the new week is treating you well so far and that you have a lovely evening!


Original source:
Hamlyn All Colour Indian Cookbook, No 207 and 186

- Jules

4 comments:

  1. God mandag Julie! :)
    Mmm, CHUTNEY! Jeg har aldri laget det selv, og har bare smakt det er par ganger- men da har jeg også elsket det. Jeg gikk på folkehøyskole en gang i tiden, og da bodde fadderene mine i nærheten, så jeg var der av og til på middag. 'Fadder-moren' (kalles det det?) min lagde en helt fanastisk eple- chutney, og jeg kan fremdeles huske hvor god den var, mange år senere.

    Klem klem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God morgen Ragnhild!
      Haha fadder mor, er vel det meeest riktige, skjønte jo hva du mente, hihi ^ ^. Chutney er så enkelt og lage! Jeg laget også selv en eple og tranebær jule-chutney første gang jegh prøvde meg på det, og den var kjempegod også. Det er veldig lett og lage, alt i en kasserolle, så rører du av og til helt til det har tyknet. Utrolig godt med kjeks, og om du finner tofutti i Norge (vegansk kremost) så er det også sikkert digg! x

      Delete
  2. That looks awesome! I love mango chutney in curries and such, but bread sounds great too! Love how healthy it is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thaaaaank you! You inspired me as well missy, with those awesome curried pancakes and that deeelicious chutney, yum ^ ^
      It's so easy to make as well :) I only made it with xylitol and not sugar so I could eat it by the spoonful, plus there is so much natural sugar in the mango and currants that it'll still stay good for long - not that it'll last very long, had the last of it yesterday :P Hope you've had a great start to the new week x

      Delete