Saturday 28 March 2015

Beetroot Salad

Creamy salads that you would serve alongside the barbecue, with salads or top slices of bread with... I remember parents buying all kinds of salads, but they never appealed to me because I was only young and thought that mayonnaise wasn't actually tasty, when it turns out - that it is!

Sometimes beets on their own can be a little too....beety for myself, but I found that with this combination here, it cuts through that, and it turns out lovely and creamy. I lightened it up using light mayonnaise, but you can also mix 1/3 mayonnaise with 2/3 light yogurt, and you'll see that it will still hold the same lovely flavours!

Beetroot Salad
(Makes 1 large tub)


250g cooked beetroot, finely diced
100g light mayonnaise (optionally 2 tbsp mayonnaise and 4-5 tbsp quark or light yogurt)
1 small onion or two shallots, finely chopped
1/2 apple, grated
Salt and pepper to taste

- Simply have all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined. Yes.... it is really that simple!

Serve with bread, or as an accompaniment with meaty mains, or as part of a salad.

This one goes out to my fellow Scandis and Eastern Europeans who are probably the most familiar with this!

Have you tried beetroot salad before?


Original source:
http://lindastuhaug.blogg.no/1424873754_25022015.html

- Julie

10 comments:

  1. I have never tried beetroot salad before, but I would LOVE to try!
    I have never had the problem of beets tasting too "beety" though :p I think it's because I pretty much only eat them either roasted (which makes them sort of taste like potatoes) and in borscht.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, awh thanks Cathleen! This lasted me about two days, it was so tasty! And thankfully beetroot salad doesn't get beety enough for me ever :D I hope you like it! xx

      Delete
  2. Så spennende oppskrift da! Jeg elsker rødbeter, gjerne bakte i ovnen, da synes jeg de er aller aller best <3
    God ny uke til deg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kanskje det går an og lage dette med cashewsmør? Vet at rødbeter går godt med mer salte ting eller pepper også, så det hadde nok gått :D
      Mmmmm stekte rødbeter, det er godt! Så liker jeg de kokte som er i eddik også (har bodd for lenge i Storbritannia, haha) x

      Delete
  3. need to make some beetroot salad. never ever heard of it but i have heard of beetroot and would love to try this out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like beetroot, I think you're going to love this Kelsey! xx

      Delete
  4. Rødbetsalat som pålegg er knallgodt! Prøv med fiskekaker på, det er faktisk magisk :) Ha en superfin veke Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Åhhh fiskekaker! Begynte og spise vegetarisk for en liten måned siden, og sjømat er det jeg savner aller mest så langt! Men kan tenke meg at det er en fantastisk kombinasjon ja :D
      Og nå postet jeg enda en oppskrift fra deg på bloggen også, haha er bare glad jeg har fått summet meg til det, kjempe masse godt :D Ønsker deg en strålende uke du også Linda :) xx

      Delete
  5. I agree - beets on their own... too "beety" for me. I make juice with them which is delicious but thanks to you, I have another great recipe I can try!! I have never made beet salad like this and it looks mouthwatering!! Apple sounds like a fantastic fit. For some reason, my mind went to red cabbage there for a moment - I can totally see how beets would be a great match, too! Can't wait to make it - I think I'll try the yoghurt route first :) Thanks, Jules!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have thought you had tried this Rose! But perhaps it is more of a sort of Scandi and Polish thing rather than German? Sometimes those cultures seem to overlap culinary :) But yesssss, beets can deffo be too beety, but beet salad is always a treat :) I hope you like it!
      Beet juice is delicious too, and I love the colour of it ^ ^ Makes you happy just looking at it! x

      Delete