Friday 12 June 2015

Coconut & Rum Ice Cream with Mango

We are on a sweet streak! How how could we not when the weather is like this? Fifth day in a row with scorching sun, you'd hardly believe it was Scotland - but it is, and I love it!

So far it has been a lovely week off, and we have fitted plenty of things! Tchai Ovna, tripes to the Botanics and Kelvingrove, visited Auchentoshan Whisky Distillery, seen friends, played Monopoly (I lost both times...), and yesterday we went to Edinburgh - up Arthur's Seat, followed by a great tour at the Mary King's Close, then dinner at two of my best friends - haggis, cause my friend simply cannot have come all this way without trying it, and it was a success!

Tonight, we are having a few friends over for a few drinks and catching up, so I am looking forward to that *smiles* In the meantime, here's some ice cream!

Inspired by the book Naturlig Godt! I decided to experiment with Ragnhild's recipe for coconut ice cream, I added some rum essence, and some mango, and there you have it!

I have mentioned Norwegian "skoleboller" before, and tried to transform the flavours of it into other treats, and this here is now added to the list. It is dairy free, vegan, and definitely counts as one of your five a day, despite tasting devilishly creamy!

Maybe serve it up with some crisp banana crumble? Or topped with tropical fruits? Go for it!

Coconut & Rum Ice Cream with Mango
(Serves 2)


400ml can full-fat coconut milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
A few drops of rum essence
2 tbsp agave syrup
1/2 mango, small dice
A handful dried coconut, to garnish with

- Start by shaking the coconut milk, before opening it and pouring it into a container, the stir in the vanilla, rum essence along with the agave.

- Peel the mango (easiest done by making a "mango hedgehog") and chop the fruit into small dice. Now, fold the mango into the cream.

- Either use an icecream machine and let it do its tha-eng, or do as I did (since I don't have a fancy apparatus to do it for me) and place it in the freezer and stir every half hour - to prevent the ice cream from crystalising.

- Once set, served topped with sliced coconut, tropical fruit, alongside a warm crumble or apple pie, or simple get a spoon and tuck in!


Inspired by the one and only Ragnhild Nordrum, recipe by yours truly,

- Jules

16 comments:

  1. This is so unusual and sounds wonderful - but the rum flavor put it over the top for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sue! Thanks, you can omit the rum extract if you want, and it will still taste great! :D x

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic combination of ingredients!!
    Also, I love how you describe your mango peeling as a "mango hedgehog". That is exactly what my mom used to call it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, she did? Nice one! I just cannot help but think of hedgehogs when I see them :D Glad you think it's an exciting mix of flavours :D x

      Delete
  3. Wow look at this!! We've had our first heat wave, too - but nothing unusual for North Carolina! I absolutely love rum flavored stuff and the addition of mango -- mmm-MMM!! Your photos are gorgeous, too! I can see the creaminess and it makes me want to grab a spoon and dig in:

    I'm glad to hear you're enjoying some time off and the weather plays along. I've been MIA for far too long (buying a house right now and moving next week!) but I'm about to catch up on all the lovely goodies you made in the past few weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rose! Great to hear from you again :D This week has been overall amazing with the weather, and it was great catching up with my friend too. Now, the weather has moved over to being cloudy, but that's OK after six days of sunshine!
      Thank you so much for your kind words as well, and never mind about missing in action - life comes first, always :) And that is so exciting you are buying a house! Looking forward to hearing all about it, and wishing you and your man all the best of luck :) xx

      Delete
  4. Looks like a delicious ice cream flavor! Very tropical :) I've been vacationing too, this ice cream reminds me of where I've come back from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks June! Sounds like you've had quite the tropical holiday then ;) xx

      Delete
  5. This is such a lovely mix of tropical flavors!

    styleandchocolates

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Celyn! I hope you like it :) x

      Delete
  6. I love that you include an option for people who don't have ice cream makers. This looks delicious. I think I'll exclude the rum, though. But the coconut and mango look like the perfect pair! I think I might just have to make this soon!

    I recently made a cooking and baking blog, too.
    http://kcolescreativecorner.com
    I would greatly appreciate it if you would check it out!
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kennedy, thanks for stopping by! You're right, mango and coconut really does go well together :) No rum essence needed either :)

      Your blog looks really good by the way, and those cinnamon rolls tug at my Scandi-heartstrings, they look fantastic :D x

      Delete
  7. Hei ♥ Nå er vi tilbake fra Oslo, tok meg en skikkelig bloggpause. Nå gleder jeg meg til å oppdatere meg på alle dere andre :)
    Så godt dette så ut! Gøy at du fant inspirasjonen i heftet mitt :) Denne varianten må jeg prøve selv også!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hei skjønne <3 Ja, det er godt med blogg pauser og andre pauser en gang i blant :) Håper dere koste dere på Oslo turen og gleder meg til og høre om det :)
      Denne varianten av iskrem funket veldig bra! Mango og kokosnøtt er så godt sammen :D Håper du har en nydelig kveld Ragnhild :) x

      Delete
  8. Dette ser ut som en perfekt dessert å nyte etter middagen i kveld. Hvem er jeg tuller? Jeg kommer nok ikke vente til etter middag for å nyte litt. Takk for oppskriften Jules! God Søndag

    http://www.lovecompassionatelee.com/thinkoutloud/2015/1/15/11515

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hei! Tusen takk for fine ord :) Håper det smaker, og jeg håper du har en finfin søndagskveld du også :) x

      Delete