Saturday 16 January 2016

Curried Bubble & Squeak

Bubble and Squeak, something I had never tried until this! I had some cabbage that needed used and when I came across this curried version of it, it sounded great! In season, healthy and exciting flavours.
I didn't have normal curry powder, so I used a korma mix - just use whatever you have at hand and I am sure it will go down a treat!

Curried Bubble & Squeak

(Serves 2)


2 tbsp neutral oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tbsp curry powder or paste (I used Korma)
1 large potato (or 400g smaller ones), small dice
200g cabbage, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
2 handfuls toasted cashews or other nuts (for vegan) or a poached egg to serve

- Start by boiling up water and have in a medium pan along with the potato and cabbage. Cook for about 10 minutes.

- In the meantime, heat oil in a pan and soften the onion for about 5 minutes, then add the garlic and fry for a further 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add the curry powder.

- Once the potatoes and cabbage is ready, drain off most of the excess water. Tip into the pan,and stir until everything is combined. Cover and cook for a further 5 minutes and make sure the potatoes are cooked through.

- Serve either generously topped with toasted and lightly salted cashews, or with a poached egg!


Today, I was working and in the afternoon my colleague pointed out the window - it was snowing! So the snow has finally arrived Glasgow... I must admit I chucked a few snowballs on my way home after the shift... I mean, how could one possibly resist?! Tonight, I have been gymming, cooking, reading some Sherlock Holmes short stories, and now it's feet-up time, think I will watch a movie. I hope you are having a fantasmic weekend!


Original source:
Veg Everyday, p. 228

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment