Monday 15 August 2016

Syrian Potato & Chickpea Kibbeh

Hey!

As I mentioned previously, I had a Foodie Fest kick started thanks to Red Cross, they gave me a spice kit and lovely recipes, and when I got in touch with them with regards to not all the recipes being vegetarian - they were quick to help and provide me with suggestions for meat free dishes, as well as including some desserts from all over the world. The five mains I rattled up that day were delicious! Some of them I will share with you here.

When I saw the recipe for Kibbeh, a Syrian version of the meatloaf, I was a bit daunted by making it vegan - simply because I know usually egg and meat binds it all together - but you know what? This was frigging delicious! Super filling, so don't be too greedy! These are perfect to cut into squares and bring in to work with some fresh salad on the side.

Syrian Potato & Chickpea Kibbeh
(Serves 8 - with salad on the side)


450g bulghur wheat
400g can chickpeas
3 medium potatoes
250g flour (I used Spelt)
30g fresh parsley, finely chopped
30g fresh mint, finely chopped
4 spring onions, finely chopped
1tsp cayenne (I used smoked paprika for a milder version)
1 tsp Baharat spice
1-2 tsp salt (because it is SUCH a bit batch)
250ml olive oil
Yogurt to serve (optional)

- Start by boiling the potatoes for about 15 minutes until soft, drain and rinse the chickpeas and add in with the potatoes, boil for a further 5 minutes (or until soft) drain well and mash.

- Rinse the bulghur wheat three-four times in cold water, drain and set aside.

- In a large mixing/salad bowl have the mash, potato, flour herbs, followed by the remaining ingredients along with 200ml of the olive oil - mix well until you have a sticky dough.

- Pre-heat the oven to 200C.

- Brush a baking dish with olive oil (mine was about 30x15cm). Tip in the dough and pat flat, it works best if you get your hands down and dirty! Pat flat and cut diamond shapes about 2.5 cm (one inch) down, and pour over the remaining oil - this will help the Kibbeh cook through.

Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 45-60 minutes, until it is brown and crispy on top. Cool for a bit before serving. This dish also works great as part of a feast!


OH and you know those fancy floral teas you can get at some sushi restaurants? I finally got to try one! Mine had marigold, green tea and coconut and it was really lovely, subtle flavours.... Mmmmm... I took a couple of snaps - have you tried them before?


I hope you have had a lovely start to your week! I had a lovely walk back from work as the sun was still out and it was quite toasty! Now I have put my feet up, and am ready to just relax before heading to Bedfordshire... zzZZzzz


Original source:
Red Cross Foodie Fest Team

- Jules

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sue! I was scared of the crazy amount of mint that was going into it, but it just has a lovely mellow minty flavour throughout along with all the other spices! Let me know what you think if you give it a go :) x

      Delete
  2. Oi ja, dette hørtes veldig godt ut!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Takk! Ja,var redd for at denne ikke ville holde sammen, men det gjorde den, og det smakte utrolig godt :) Fint og putte i matboksen :) x

      Delete