Thursday 14 February 2013

Red Velvet Cupcakes

After a very pleasant venture out to a Japanese restaurant here in Glasgow called Nanakusa. I tried everything from sake, to plum wine (which by the way was delicious!) to squid sushi! It was all totally delicious and luckily not too expensive! Now I am home, stuffed, and happy, ready to hit the hay. BUT befoooore that, I thought I'd update my blog with a little sweet treat that I made for my boyfriend yesterday. It was meant to be a sort of valentines thing, but since we were going out for food today, I thought I'd get a head start to it and make some lovely Red Velvet Cupcakes! They are delicious! Next time though, I reckon I will just use a normal cream cheese frosting, as they turned out a little too sweet for my own taste. They are super moist and springy though, and super light!

Red Velvet Cupcakes
(Makes 9, about 200-250 calories each depending on topping)



30 g soft butter, like flora
75 g sugar
1 large egg, lightly beat
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp vinegar
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
60 g sour milk or natural yogurt
65 g plain flour
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tube or small bottle of red food colouring

For the frosting:
75 g soft, light cream cheese
75 g butter
50 g white chocolate
150-200 g icing sugar

- Start with making the frosting. Melt the white chocolate, in a waterbath. In the meantime, whisk the butter and sugar together. Pour in the melted chocolate, stir in the icing sugar, combine well and put it in the fridge to set for a while.

- Then, it's onto the cupcakes! Once again, whicks butter and sugar together, then add the egg and continue whisking.

- Afterwards, add one ingredients at a time until there are no more!

- Preheat the oven to about 175°C. Fill up 9 cupcake cases 2/3 full, and set in the middle of the oven. Bake for about 15-20 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Set them on a wire rack to cool completely.

- Now, it's time to get creative! Put frosting on top of each cupcake, leave plain or decorate with whatever sweet treats that take your fancy!

Original source:
http://detsoteliv.no/searchresults_other1gruppe.php?2624

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment