Monday 10 June 2013

Millet Porridge with Cocoa

So I re-discovered some ground millet in my cupboard last week when I was trying* to do a bit of organising in the kitchen. Inspired, I thought of trying to make millet porridge!
*note trying

Millet has quite a strong grainy flavour, and so I prefer it with a little bit of cocoa powder in it, just for a nice chocolatey taste, mmmm! And you do need a little bit of milk when you boil it so it goes creamy, using only water can make it a bit bland.
I might try some more experimenting with the ground millet, but for now, here's the recipe I made up. It makes quite a filling bowl of goodness, so if you want a little less, just use 30g millet instead! I served it topped with chopped strawberries, but I can imagine sliced banana would be a good choice too!

Millet Porridge with Cocoa
(Serves 1, about 300 calories)



40g ground millet
100 ml semi skimmed milk
Water
1 tbsp cocoa
1 tbsp agave syrup

Fruit, dessicated coconut or chocolate powder to serve

- Mix the ground millet and cocoa flour, before adding to a small pan along with the milk, agave syrup and water on medium low heat. The porridge will go a lot thicker after having simmered for a few minutes. Stir frequently, and add more water until you get the porridge the right consistency.

- Serve on its own or top with fruits, nuts, seeds, chocolate powder or anything else you might want to add!



Apparently millet is one of the oldest grains to be used by people, and is rich in iron, B vitamins, calcium, potassium, magnesium and zinc! I'll let that be the lesson for today, onwards - upwards and to the kitchen!

Recipe by myself - Didn't exactly require any rocket science!

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment