Friday 6 December 2013

Parsnip Fries for One

*Starts singing* "Parsnips roasting on an open fiiiire.." My bad! Haha, but in this time of year especially I find that roasted vegetables themselves can be super comfort food! The other day I bought a parsnip for the sole purpose of making some parsnip fries, I reckon it was the Sunday roast dinner in the Highlands last week that inspired me. Can you blame me?!
Here I have slammed together comfort food and pub grub in one bowl - and they turned out preeetty tasty too if I may say so myself! It was the first time I used coconut oil, and it did give the parsnips a subtly sweet taste which went very well with the rest of the seasoning I used. But worry not! Olive oil will do the trick just as well!

Parsnip Fries for One
(Serves 1, about 260 calories without dip)


1 parsnip, about 200g, washed and cut into fries
2 tsp coconut (or olive) oil and 1-2 tbsp water
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp onion powder
1 clove garlic, peeled and left whole (optional)

- Pre-heat the oven to 160ºC.

- In a small pot, melt the coconut oil or heat up the olive oil on medium heat, and add the water. As you prepare the parsnip, chuck them into the pan as you go along.

- Sprinkle with the seasoning, place a lid over it and give it a good shake! Place the fries on a piece of baking parchment along with the whole garlic clove, and place it in the middle in the oven. Let them bake for about half an hour before turning them and roasting them for a further half hour, or more if you like them crispier. I turned the heat up to 180ºC for the last ten minutes, and left them for a tiny bit longer. I like it when the edges get slightly charred, mmmmm!

- Once they're all done, you're ready to go! Serve as they are, or whip out some nice salsa, ketchup or any other sauce you like, and tuck in! You might not want to eat the garlic clove, as I did and it was really strongly flavoured! It will do nicely in soups and other cooking though!

What's your favourite vegetable for roasting?


Recipe by yours truly (it wasn't exactly science, but I am really happy with the result!)

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment