Monday 14 July 2014

Big Friendly Giant Stuffed Blini with Scrambled Eggs

Hello! I hope you're well, and that you have had a great weekend. Now, it's a new week filled with new opportunities, and for that occasion, I have decided to share my little week project that I have been doing.... Ready?

So, I was looking at my cookbooks, sitting there, and I knew I had let them down in the past slightly, mainly cooking up recipes that I found online instead of flicking though those lovely hardbacks packed full of inspiration. Slightly influenced by the movie "Julie & Julia" (though having mixed feelings about the movie), I decided to base my weekly shopping solely on making recipes from one book. A book that was given to me as a christmas present a few years back when I was getting properly into cooking. It was "From Season to Season" by Sophie Dahl - Roald Dahls grandaughter, former model, Jamie Cullum's wife and now cook, who also (I was told recently by my younger sister) had a show based on her recipes called "The Delicious Miss Dahl". Most of the recipes are homely, hearty and rustic and often has a bit of a twist to it one way or another. The book is packed with great ideas, and contains everything from vegan to gluten-free recipes. They are also usually easy to adapt should you have any specific dietary needs.


The book not only includes mouth-watering recipes and photos, but also has many different stories of how some of the dishes came about. You get to go back down her memory lane, without feeling like you're onlooking the scenes played in your mind, but rather - you're there!

Previously I have made two recipes from her book, the Chickpea & Mushroom Burgers with Tahini Sauce and her Porridge with Poached Plums in my little collection of different takes on porridge.

The first recipe I decided to take on, were these lovely ricotta blinis served with scrambled eggs. Originally the blinis are made smaller than I have made here, as I just decided to make an extra big one and topping it with all the scrambled egg.
Oh! And for the scramble, I used my Aerolatte MILK whisk to get the mixture fluffy and it worked a treat, who would have guessed? But do make scrambled eggs the way you prefer, you don't need any fancy kitchen gear to make this lovely dish. It's perfect for breakfast, lunch and dinner....So what are you waiting for? Get cooking!

Big Friendly Giant Stuffed Blini with Scrambled Eggs
(Makes 1, easily doubled)


For the blini:
45g buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
100ml milk
Chives and parsley (I only had dried parsley, so I used 1 tsp of that, but you can use fresh too!)
1 heaped tbsp ricotta
1 egg white (save the egg yolk for the scramble)
A knob of butter or olive oil for frying

For the scrambled eggs:
1 egg + the spare yolk
Salt and pepper
A knob of butter
A dash of milk

- Get your baking bowl out! Mix the buckwheat flour, baking powder, salt and milk and whisk well until combined. Now add the ricotta and herbs and whisk again! In another bowl, have the egg white and whisk until it forms soft peaks, and then fold it into the blini mixture.

- Heat some butter or oil in a small non-stick frying pan, and either make 2-3 smaller blinis, or one big one! Cover with a lid and cook for a few minutes until it starts bubbling on top.

- In the meantime, whisk together all the ingredients for the scrambled eggs. If you have a milk whisk, use that and see how fluffy it gets! If not, simply whisk until light. Heat some butter in another frying pan, and pour in the egg mixture. Cook over medium-low heat and stir continuously - don't forget to flip the blini and allow it to cook for a couple of minutes on the other side!

- Once the eggs are scrambled and the blini(s) cooked, top the blini with the eggs, season with a little salt and pepper, and chives and parsley if using, and tuck in!

Some of the other recipes to come in the following days includes:

Aaaaaand:

So stay tuned!

Have you ever done a cook book "project" like this before? I can tell you, it's a lot of fun, and I think I will definitely be doing it again!


Original source: From Season to Season by Sophie Dahl, p. 83

- Jules

14 comments:

  1. Jeg må slutte å gå inn på bloggen din når jeg kommer hjem fra skolen! Får lyst på alt annet enn det jeg har liggende her hjemme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah men det var ikke meningen kjære! Er lett og piffe opp det en har liggende også :P x

      Delete
  2. wow blini takes me back to my childhood, my russian grandmother would make this dish religiously. thanks for sharing a great recipe jules, definitely will be giving it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love nostalgic recipes! My own grandmother would make "lapper" which is a thick sort of pancake. This was my first taste of blinis though, and although it was a little less nostalgic, it was definitely lovely, will make this again for sure :)
      Thanks again Thalia, if you get around to making it I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Oh, and feel free to link to similar recipes of your own :) x

      Delete
  3. That looks so delicious. A perfect morning breakfast treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ami! Especially perfect for those cosy weekend mornings ^ ^
      Hope you've had a good kickstart to your week :) x

      Delete
  4. I am jealous... I was looking through my cookbooks, and only found... that I have one :( I need to get some more! Also, I realized that I wasn't following your blog!! No wonder I didn't get any of your updates :( I am fixing that right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, well now you know what to ask for for your birthday :D I tend to track my cook books down in charity shops, but this one I was lucky enough to get given to me :)
      Thanks for following! I always enjoy seeing what you come up with yourself :) I hope you're having a great day Cathleen ^ ^

      Delete
  5. Oh another Sophie Dahl fan, I just love her and her show/cook books! I have that book too, it's beautiful :) Awesome project and I look forward to seeing more of those delicious looking recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emma!
      I haven't had the chance to watch her show, but saw a few snippets online and she's so lovely :) Have you got some favourite recipes from the book so far? Each of the things I have cooked up has been a hit so far :D Might have a Part 2 after this ^ ^ Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Her strawberry pancakes are really gorgeous, I make those quite often :) and I can see you made them also from one of your pretty photos.

      You've inspired me to pick it up again, I've neglected my cookbooks a bit lately!

      Delete
    3. Ohh, yes, they were so lovely and fluffy! Loved the added berries to the batter :) I wanted to make all her recipes alas, not enough time! I'll get around to it though ^ ^ Happy cooking ;) x

      Delete
  6. For et utrolig lurt prosjekt!! Kanskje jeg skal gjøre noe lignende. Akkurat som deg, har jeg utrolig mange fine bøker liggende, men finner det aller meste av inspirasjonen online.
    Dette ser nydelig ut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe ja, det var en god måte og få brukt boken på, også må en liksom finne mye forskjellig så det ikke blir så ensidig, synes det var utrolig gøyt, og skal absolutt gjøres igjen, anbefales :) Tusen takk skal du ha for gode ord Ragnhild x

      Delete