Sunday 6 July 2014

Healthy Chocolate Biscotti

It's Sunday! Know what that means? It's a good day for baking! Here comes a recipe that is simple to make, it just takes a bit of patience waiting for them to get done, which means you can get other little bits and pieces done in the meantime, nifty, huh?

Love biscotti? Want to eat it with a cup of coffee say...every day? OK, maybe not eeeveryday, but you know what I mean... Well, I've got a secret for you - this chocolate biscotti here is virtually sugar-free and packed with protein! As it's baking in the oven, the room will be filled with the smell of delicious chocolate cake.

Perfect if you have some friends coming over and am not sure what to serve. Just get the coffee brewing, and take out a jar of these!

PS. These are crunchier if served at least a day after making them - perfect for dunkin'!

PPS. If you want to serve this as softer cake bites, just bake it for those first 18-20 minutes, and you're sorted ^ ^

Healthy Chocolate Biscotti
(Makes about 20 small ones, or 15 longer ones)


50g almond flour
25g flour
25g chocolate protein powder
3-4 tbsp xylitol or brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
1 tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
2 eggs
1 tbsp maple-, yacon-, or agave syrup
A handful of roughly chopped almonds or other nuts (I used a handful of whole cashews)

- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.

- In a baking bowl, mix together all the ingredients except from the nuts. Once the mixture is well combined, free of lumps, fold in the nuts.

- Grease a baking tray with any oil that doesn't hold much flavour, such as coconut oil or sunflower oil. Scoop the batter onto the tray in a long thick strip. Place the tray in the middle of the oven and bake for about 18-20 minutes.

- Now, turn down the oven to 100°C. Take out the tray and cut the biscotti diagonally. Flip each piece up on the side, and return to the oven for about an hour.

- Take out to cool and store in an airtight jar, or serve immediately alongside a good cuppa!


Mmmmm, I'm sitting here, cup in hand after a nice weekend, I've been drawing, and yesterday I was at a barbecue! That was lovely, and today, hmmm let's see... I've got my weekly shopping to do aaand I reckon I'll try and get some studying out of the way too. It's lovely outside though, so I reckon I might be distracted and head out for a few hours later on as well, heh. How has your weekend been?


Original source:
Sunn & Sterk med Protein - Mat for Muskler, p. 113

- Jules

14 comments:

  1. Those look delicious! I love biscotti, they're my favorite kind of cookie :) This version sounds awesome, especially since they are so healthy :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe yeh, s'all about compromise ey? Well in the weekdays anyways, any excuse for a treat! ^ ^ These go supercrisp after a day or two :D x

      Delete
  2. Mmm så fine og fristende! Jeg har bare bakt biscotti en gang og det var til jul for noen år siden, da jeg bakte en stooor porsjon og ga bort til vennene mine. Jeg elsker å gi bort spiselige gave, og det blir alltid tatt godt i mot.
    God ny til til deg i morgen Julie! Klem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe ja, disse er jo en litt mer "moderne" variant med protein pulver, men er kompromiss kaffekos til hverdagene vettu!

      Har du fortsatt oppskriften du brukte den gangen du laget dine? :) Hadde vært spennende og se ^ ^ Men skjønner godt om du ikke har det siden det var så lenge siden, vedder på at de var kjempe gode :) x

      Delete
  3. This looks so delicious! What yummy dipping cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel! I was surprised how crispy they got, but I guess that's the point, right? Gotta make up another batch soon, or maybe try some different flavours, suggestions? :) Have a nice day ^ ^

      Delete
  4. i've made almond biscotti but never chocolate biscotti, I'll have to try this recipe out. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Almond biscotti is a classic though! But could give these a try for the weekdays :) THanks for stopping by Mary :) x

      Delete
  5. Ja, vi elsker sjokolade!
    Og det smaker ekstra godt med en kopp kaffi :)

    Ha en fin Mandag Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tihi, ja ikke sant? Trenger det av og til :D God mandag til deg også ^ ^ Her har jeg visst hatt to kopper kaffe allerede, men ingen biscotti igjen, *smiler lurt*... får ta og lage flere :D Nyt dagen Linda! x

      Delete
  6. Jules, I'm totally intrigued by this recipe.I have never used xylitol before (I buy gum that uses it as a sweetener) but have been meaning to try it out! It's supposed to be one of the best alternative sweeteners out there.

    Your Biscotti look absolutely delicious!! I wish I could have one right now with my coffee *sigh* :) I think I'll try the softer version first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah better pop to the nearest cafê to get your biscotti fix then ;) And then you can make these later and have them tomorrow :D

      I only recently started using xylitol, as I would normal replace sugar with something in Norway called Sukrin Gold, but they don't have it here in Scotland and I've ran out - better top up when I go and visit Bergen in August :) I am sure you can use the sweet gum though!

      I hope you enjoy your day missy :) x

      Delete
  7. Nice - de så kjempegode ut! :) Hyggelig at du bruker boka mi <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tusen takk! Ja, det skulle da bare mangle ^ ^ Venninnen min forsynte seg gjevt av disse, et godt tegn :D Må lage en ny runde med disse snart tror jeg. Håper du har en nydelig kveld :) x

      Delete