Wednesday 29 October 2014

Pumpkin Pudding â la Roque

So today - after a day at work, and a short session at the gym - I somehow figured that that wasn't enough, and so I might have gone home and badly carved a pumpkin.... Then, I decided to call him Roque, and make pumpkin pudding!

I am sure you are all inspired enough when it comes to pumpkin, and it being Halloween and all, but I hadn't done any pumpkin-y until now this Autumn. Better late than never right?

Oh, and I also took the opportunity to roast the pumpkin seeds at the same time. I places them on a tray and placed underneath the pudding. Afterwards, they are dry enough so you can roast them again doing the whole spiced or salted roast pumpkin seeds that I posted not long ago - divine!

Pumpkin Pudding â la Roque
(Serves 4 - or 2 if you have the Halloween munchies...)


2 tbsp Maple syrup
1/2 or 1 cup of pumpkin puree (I made my own, thanks to Roque)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup milk of choice (I used soy)
2 tbsp sukrin gold/xylitol/brown sugar
3 eggs

to serve: Whipped (coconut) cream, ice cream, custard, or just serve on its own!

- (If making pumpkin pureê yourself, make this before starting).

- Start by pre-heating the oven to 160ºC.

- Now, have the maple syrup in the bottom of either a bread tin or a cake mould (I used the latter).

- Heat up the milk and sugar on medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and take it off the heat. Mix in the pumpkin and cinnamon.

- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs lightly until slightly fluffy, and stir into the pumpkin mixture, make sure it doesn't curdle.

- Tip the mixture over the syrup. Place the bread tin or the cake mould into a roasting tin with about 1cm water, like you would when baking a cheese cake. Place close to the bottom of the oven and bake for 1 hour.


Cool slightly, and serve with extra maple syrup, icecream, cream or simply enjoy on it's own. this truly is the taste of Autumn!

Miiiiindblowing judging by Roque's expression....!

Also, check out Sir Lancelot's Pumpkin Soup that I made a couple of years ago!

What are your favourite Autumn memories?
I remember in Norway, when it was getting really cold outside, but it was still dry outside, I would make a cup of tea, take it with me outside along with some gingerbread biscuits, wrap myself up in a blanket, and sit outside on the veranda in the crisp evening, looking up at the stars, pondering about everything and enjoying the wondrous little lights in the sky... *smiles*


Original source:
Sunnere & Sterkere med Proteinrik Mat, p. 42.

- Jules

10 comments:

  1. Så deilig!!! Gresskar er skikkelig godt. Jeg elsker det i suppe, eller ovnsstekt i biter til de er møre- nydelig høstmat♡
    God kveld til deg Julie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tusen takk Ragnhild, og god morgen til deg ;) Jeg har fortsatt gresskar til overs til andre ting heldigvis - det er jo så mye og bruke det til :) Brukte en ekstra halv kopp i denne oppskriften av det, skal jo kunne smake det, hihi ^ ^

      Delete
  2. Oh wow that looks awesome!! So creamy and flavorful, I can just taste it.... :) Love how simple it is, that is just the kind of dessert to make after work / school! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss! You just gotta be patient waiting for that one hour when it's baking, but apart from that it was easy peasy to put together :) I hope you have a lovely morning June :) x

      Delete
  3. YUM!! This looks so delicious!! I want to stab it with my fork ;)
    Maybe I've been in the US for too long but this looks like a pie to me... either way, it's scrumptious! I think I might try this later on today - I can't believe how easy this is!!

    My favorite autumn memories... there are too many! I think I mostly remember being a kid in Germany; we used to pick chestnuts on foggy fall mornings - such sweet memories! I still miss our wine fests and other October festivities. It's just not the same in the US.

    Tea with gingerbread cookies sound amazing :) Ha en flott helg! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, well you're not half wrong there Rose, because this is basically what you would use for a light pumpkin pie filling, all it needs is the pie shell! I was in the mood for pudding though, just something light to have after dinner (and I might have had the leftover for breakfast this morning *puppydawgeyes*).

      I bet Autumn in Germany would be wonderful ^ ^ They sure know how to celebrate there! Here in Glasgow we actually just finished October Fest - an ode to the German way of doing things, and I sure don't mind. The food, the amazing beer - yum! But then again the US of A know how to rock Autumn too, with all the pumpkin and cinnamon things!

      Ah! Norwegian! Tusen takk, og ha en god helg du også kjære Rose x

      Delete
  4. Hi Roque!! You look delicious...well, your insides make delicious pumpkin pudding!! I feel creepy now, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah I laughed out loud reading your comment :P In the spirit of Halloween ;) Hope you have a fantastic weekend Katrina! x

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I couldn't help having second and third servings, ooops! x

      Delete