Monday 6 April 2015

Vegan Chickpea Waffles with Antipasti

My friend sent me the recipe for buckwheat waffles with a lovely salsa, but... being impatient as I am, and intrigued by adding antipasti to waffle batter - I decided to experiment with the new gram flour I bought not long ago. Gram means chickpea!

And you know what? These are the best vegan waffles I have ever attempted thus far! They held together really well, and because of the oil in the batter, they wont stick to the iron - score!

Vegan Chickpea Waffles with Antipasti
(Makes about 1 and a half big waffle, probably about 4 small American ones)


3 topped tbsp gram/chickpea flour
1/2 cup soy milk
2 tsp neutral oil
1/2 tsp baking powder
Salt and pepper
3 sundried tomatoes (I used the oily ones), finely chopped
2 artichokes in oil, finely chopped (can also use 4-6 pitted olives)

To serve: Sundried tomatoes, cheese, pesto, aivar, hummous etc.

- Heat up the waffle iron.

- Let's get down to business! In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, a bit of salt and pepper and stir to combine. Fold in the soy milk, oil plus the sundried tomatoes and artichokes/olives.

- Once the iron is hot, pour a ladleful of the batter on and close, cook for about 3 minutes or so, until golden and cooked through, and repeat with remaining batter.

You can easily double this recipe to make sure you have enough for two or three people, you're going to want to! I immediately regretted not having made a bigger batch of these as soon as I'd had one. I simply served it with some more sundried tomatoes, but the waffles are suitable for any antipasti topping or spread!


Recipe by yours truly,

- Jules

8 comments:

  1. Okay, I REALLY need to buy a waffle iron!! This looks so good! I have been meaning to try chickpea flour, but I thought I wouldn't know how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pancakes or waffles... that is always the answer, hah :)
      Waffle irons are great, really! I have been using it a whole lot more the last few months :) Thank you so much for your lovely comment :) xx

      Delete
  2. What a cool idea for waffles! I've never tried savory waffles but this may entice me... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This definitely worked! And I am glad I could entice you with savoury, especially since you are the boss when it comes to vegan sweet things :) I am just a sucker for antipasti, and mezze, and you can wrap up all of that in these bad boys ^ ^

      Delete
  3. Oiii så fine de ble! Ikke verst at de holdt så godt sammen.
    Artisjokker er noe av det beste jeg vet. Kan tenke meg det var godt i disse♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ikke sant? Var så glad når de ikke klistret seg fast :D Antipasti er så godt vet du, mmmm - også er det meste av det vegansk også :D
      Håper du har en nydelig aften :) Snart helg! x

      Delete
  4. Åh, naam! Så godt det ser ut! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tusen takk Susanne! Middagsvafler kan være knallgodt! Laget nettopp med veganske pannekaker til middag i dag, litt krydder i miksen så blir det bra :) Håper du har en god dag! x

      Delete