Wednesday 16 March 2016

Courgette Hotcakes

I used a lot less oil in this than the original recipe used, and instead decided to be a little extra generous with it when frying these delicious hotcakes! It worked a treat!

Usually, I would eat courgette cakes/fritters/anythingcourgetteandsavoury with some sweet chill sauce, but I had run out of it, and thus I had it with some crumbled feta and tomato sauce instead, yummy! The bakingpowder in this also makes them fluff up a little, which gave them a lovely texture *smiles*

Courgette Hotcakes
(Makes 6, serves 2 as a lunch, or 3 as a starter!)


1 large courgette, grated and squeezed off the excess water
1 cup flour (I used chickpea flour, but youcan use plain or spelt)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 tsp black pepper
2/3 tsp ground thyme
1 egg
1/2 cup grated parmesan
Oil for frying (enough to cover the bottom of the frying pan generously)

To serve: Sweet chilli sauce, poached eggs, wilted spinach, crumbled feta etc.

- Start by grating the courgette and lightly salt, place in a sieve and let the excess water run off for about 20 minutes. Squeeze most of the water out with your hand, and place the courgette in a mixing bowl.

- Now, add the seasoning, flour, baking powder, parmesan and egg and mix well to combine. You should have a rather sticky batter - don't worry, it will cook evenly and come together (right now....over me! *starts singing Beatles* in the pan.

- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat, and be generous with it! Once hot, drop big tablespoons of batter into the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or thereabouts, until golden on both sides and slightly puffed up.

- Repeat with remaining batter, et voila! Hotcakes are ready to serve - I cannot wait to have the rest for lunch at work tomorrow, mmmmm...


This week, I am off work on holiday, and despite having hardly any silvers to my name currently, I have had a few good mindful days off work now! Lovely food has been made, a friend and I yesterday went on an adventure in two towns outside Glasgow, and she had even brought some red wine and white chocolate for the hike which was a nice surprise!
Today, my boyfriend and I are going out for some Mexican food at one of the best Mexican places here, it is a charming little restaurant that rattles up some fantastic dishes! I'd say it is well deserved after having crammed in a few chores... I hope you are having a lovely week so far! Been up to much yourself?


Original source:
FromSeason to Season, p. 121

- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment