Monday 22 August 2016

Sweet Potato Jollof Rice from Sierra Leone

Jollof Rice is something I have never tried before, but it sure was a hit with my friends and boyfriend! It is basically an African version of risotto almost. The simple flavours in this goes a long way, and one of my friends wanted the recipe!

As suggested by Red Cross, I used roasted dice of sweet potato instead of chicken - it was a treat! Also, the spice provided for this dish was ground crayfish, but they mentioned that this was used for a salty flavour, like salt, tamari and soy sauce is used, so I opted for a few tablespoons tamari instead!

Sweet Potato Jollof Rice from Sierra Leone
(Serves 4)


1 large/2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into dice
1 thinly sliced onion
1 tbsp fresh or dry thyme
2 tbsp tamari/soy sauce/salt to taste
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 veggie stock cube (1 heaped tbsp veggie stock powder)
360g long grain or basmati rice
1 red pepper, sliced lengthways
2 finely chopped garlic cloves
400ml can chopped tomatoes
Thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, grated
Handful fresh coriander to goarnish with (I totally forgot I had it in the fridge!)

- Pre-heat the oven to 190C, have the diced sweet potato in a bowl and drizzle with oil, salt and pepper. Place in the middle of the oven and roast for abut 20-25 minutes until tender.

- In the meantime, fry the onions in a large casserole for about 5 inutes until soft. Add the thyme, tomato puree, garlic, chopped tomatoes and ginger and fry for a further few minutes until heated through and bubbling. Turn down the heat.

- Add the stock, tamari/soy/salt and pour in 600ml boiling water. Add the rice and the sweet potatoes, cover with a lid and simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes until the rice is juuuust done.

- Scatter over with the red peppers and place the lid back on, cook for a further ten to achieve that lovely creamy texture.

- Before serving, stir a little to allow the peppers to run throughout the dish and serve topped with freshly chopped coriander.

Et voila!

I hope you have had a lovely start to your week! I am currently recovering from a superbug I must have caught over the weekend - boo! But I shall recuperate soon enough, and take on the world again once I have!


Original Source:
Red Cross Foodie Fest Team

- Jules

6 comments:

  1. I'm always introduced to something new and wonderful when I visit you! This is utterly new to me, and I know I'm going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sue! Same goes for you, your blog is fantastic! Can't wait to get my paws on some of the things you have made (like the breakfast cookies!). This dish was perhaps the favourite when I had the charity dinner with my friends, I hope you like it! And feel free to share your version of any recipes on my blog :) Have a great day! x

      Delete
  2. I thought I commented on this, but apparently my internet cut out :(
    This rice looks amazing!! I just made some boring rice that I usually make. I am bookmarking this for next time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh, I hate when that happens! I appreciate the doubly effort though :D Plain rice is also nice, but you should definitely give this a go, let me know what you think! x

      Delete
  3. Dette høres godt ut! Håper du føler deg bedre, og god helg!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Du må smake da vel :D Var veldig godt iallefall :) Tusen takk Maria, er mye bedre nå! x

      Delete