Thursday 4 January 2018

Sweet Potato, Spinach and Lentil Dhal

So today, I thought since I have had a re-boot myself, I would share a recipe that was one of the first I posted on my blog actually! When I was a child, I was the pickiest of eaters, and now.... well - the first time I tried this dish it was probably one of those "hang on a minute.... this is vegetarian and actually TASTY?!" type of moments. Since then I have made it time and time again, despite usually not liking making the same dish again... A few recipes just sort of stick around!

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

Sweet Potato, Spinach and Lentil Dhal (Serves two)


Ingredients
450 ml vegan stock (I use Knorr)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 red chilli (or 1/2 if you don't like it too spicy) deseeded and finely chopped
100g red lentils
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp Garam Masala
A few handfuls of spinach
Salt to taste
Pitta bread or rice to serve

Don't you just want to stick you hand in there, like Amelie Montmartre?

- Start by making the stock in a medium sized pan, then add your onions, chilli, lentils, sweet potato and spices. Cover and cook for about half an hour until the sweet potato and lentils are tender. In the mean time, if serving with rice, make sure you time that right for when the dhal is ready.

- Once the dhal is ready, tip in the spinach and stir until it is wilted - this should only take a minute or two. Serve up with rice or bread and enjoy!

We had it with rice today, but usually we serve it with pitta bread. Other than that, I am just waiting on the thumbs up to start my new job - and I finished reading Philip Pullman's "The Books of Dust: Volume One - La Belle Sauvage" and wow! I haven't read his Dark Materials series for over a decade, but being teased into that world again - it was just awesome! I only bought it the other week as well, and though I am a slow reader, I managed to inhale it!


Are you reading anything at the moment?

Have a lovely evening,

J

2 comments:

  1. Deilig <3
    God helg til deg :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tror du hadde like dette! Ikke for sterkt heller 😃
      God helg Ragnhild! X

      Delete